Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Inconvenience



I forget sometimes that Audrey can read. I was up really early this morning, with lots of things to do running through my head, but before I was actually able to do much of it, since stores weren't yet open and the family was still sleeping. So, I made a big list of all of the things on my mind. One of those things was Audrey's birthday. I started a list of what I wanted to get her for her birthday (with only one item - "Alexa," a barbie she wants, on it - any other suggestions for a girl turning 6 who already has enough Barbies, Polly Pockets, ponies, Littlest Pet Shops, movies, dress-ups, etc. to last 3 lifetimes?!). I had the giant to-do list sitting here on my desk. She comes up and says "Why does it say "Audrey Birthday Alexa" on here?" Ack! Luckily, she has a friend Alessa, and I had kind of chicken scratched it, so I told her it was a list of who she should invite to the party. She took that and ran with it, and is now making out a list of whom to invite (forget the fact that I was going to discourage a party, with all else I have to do in the next couple of weeks, and instead encourage her to invite one or two friends to go to the movies, go get their nails/hair done, etc...).

I remember being so bummed when I realized I could no longer buy presents in front of her (and still have them be a surprise). Now I guess I have to take it one step further, and hide the lists, too. Next thing you know, she'll be sneaking around looking for the presents like I did as a youngster!

Overall, though, I'm pretty excited for Audrey. I love reading, and hope she will, too. Her language skills are coming in handy, too. The other day, I was on the phone. She was trying to tell me something, and I said, "Just a minute, wait until I'm off the phone." She couldn't wait, though, so she scrawled a note that read, "Adam is in chrubbl," letting me know that Adam was getting into all the moving boxes down in the basement. It got the point across, and gave me a chuckle.

3 comments:

Laura said...

She is such a beautiful little girl. I love how she spelled trouble. So cute. Girls night tomorrow?

Mrs.Smith said...

Oh my funnyness! I can totally see my oldest being just like that in a year or two. And I'd never think to spell trouble that way! She's so clever! :)

M+J said...

What a smartie pants ... just like her mother! I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around", and Jen, I remember a time or two in which you were a major snoop when it came to gifts. Joke's on you! :) LOL